Distractions. They’re everywhere, even inside our own heads. We can’t escape them, but we can learn strategies to limit them and to overcome them.
The following posts may help you in your lifelong war against distractions.
- Digital distractions. We all know our digital devices provide a host of ways to distract us. The best solution is to simply silence the device, turn off the notifications, or turn the thing off completely. If you can’t bring yourself to turn everything off, this review of 14 apps can help you control your digital usage.
- Focus at work. Most of us are past the days of schoolwork *cue Halleluiah Chorus* but we still face plenty of tasks or problems that require mental focus. Here’s a brief article with ten tips to help you focus. Apply the first three and you may find yourself well on the way to better focus.
- This article begins with an interesting premise: Throughout our school career we were expected to focus, however, most of us were never taught how to focus. These ten how-to-focus tips can be applied to any area of life.
- Fighting distracting thoughts that just won’t go away? This article on combating nagging thoughts can help.
- Struggling to keep focused during prayer? This post has some excellent suggestions to help. I found #6 particularly thought-provoking.
One final thought:
Have you ever considered that we spend attention just like we spend money? In both cases, we can spend it wisely, or we can waste it.
Maybe simply becoming aware of the fact that everything we do is spending our attention on something can help us win more battles against distractions.