My son was married last weekend.
Weddings can be overwhelming. So many things to worry about. Months of planning, dreaming, cleaning, choosing, anticipating, re-thinking, shopping, and ordering.
Finally the big day arrives, bringing another kind of overwhelm: The people. The fancy dresses. The emotional roller coaster.
Throughout it all, I have been determined to stay sane, stay calm, and stay in the moment. I tried my best to pay attention to what was happening now instead of worrying about what ought to happen next.
I tried to focus on savoring the moments. Watching, absorbing, enjoying each facet in turn.
Here are some favorite memories and a few snapshots of my weekend. Enjoy.
- Whispering wedding stories with my new niece-in-law during the rehearsal.
- Enjoying the results of all our gardening work during the rehearsal dinner. What a gorgeous day.
- Working with my two sisters in the kitchen as we (almost) calmly got the buffet table ready. We are a great team. Thanks, Mom, for teaching us.
- Listening to David’s Crazy Uncle Steve swap stories with Samantha’s Crazy Uncle Steve.
- A fun round of the Shoe Game. (So fascinating to see who hesitates at which questions.)
- Snacking on leftovers and reminiscing on past weddings with my family after the rehearsal dinner.
- Spending some quiet moments snuggling with the cat before the menfolk got up on the Big Day.
- Watching the play of emotions during the ceremony. A few tears. A lot of joy.
- Dancing for young and old.
- Wedding donuts!
- Lots and lots of hugs. And more hugs.
- Chilling on the patio when the music got too loud. Another gorgeous day. Another lovely venue.
- My handsome boys.
- My new daughter!