Looking for resources to help your life become more intentional? Here are some websites and books I have found helpful:
On simplicity and other daily life issues:
- Becoming Minimalist — A site devoted to regaining a simpler, saner life. Start with his guide to living an intentional life.
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo — A practical and inspiring book on decluttering. This is where the concept of items that “spark joy” came from.
- Impactivity: How to Set the World on Fire Without Burning Out by Tracy Higley This brief book is a practical overview of the five areas that can help us get from purposeless productivity to intentional and focused impact using our God-given talents in a God-honoring way.
On Mindsets that help intentional living:
- Want to be happy? Be grateful. A TED Talk on gratitude and mindfulness.
- Putting on the New — Where Christian women write about the ups and downs of their journey as they try to live out their faith.
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin – Attitudes and strategies that promote a more outlook. This book inspired me to create my own Ten Tenets for a Fuller Life.
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown The subtitle says it all: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. Simple but thought-provoking.
On personal growth and understanding ourselves:
- Live Bold & Bloom — on living boldly and personal growth.
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert. This book is like sitting down for a conversation with a fellow creative, one who’s been through the ringer a time or two, and one who’s obviously spent time pondering the whole messy, often frustrating, sometimes scary creative process.
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain — The most comprehensive book I have read on understanding introverts.
- Susan Cain’s TED Talk — about the power of introverts
- The Introvert’s Corner — advice from Psychology Today
On pursuing dreams and living a life of significance:
- The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life by Os Guinness A book about the concept of calling: what it is and what it is not. Plus insights into what keeps us from following it.
- Restless: Because You Were Made for More by Jennie Allen A practical approach to seeking and finding your calling, with the premise that no past experience is wasted and if you search, you will see how the threads of your life weave together into a life of purpose.